Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Goals and Cupcakes

Alright, so here's the deal. For a big part of our new year goals this year, Chase and I have decided to fulfill needs in every area of wellness, including mental, physical, spiritual, etc.
If you knew me in college, you know that I am a planner Nazi. So, as you can imagine since being graduated I have felt a serious lack of planning, motivation, and not to mention the satisfaction of crossing things off of lists.
To fill the proverbial empty place in my heart, we downloaded the "success checklist" app. I now have a list that looks a little something like this:
-morning prayer before chase leaves
-wake up (before Amelia so that I can be showered when she wakes up)
-do something for yourself
-scripture study
-learn something new
-Amelia's bedtime routine (including reading a kids book and an adult book)
-Family prayer
-make sure living space is clean
-work out
-write in journal
-couple & personal prayer
We have times and alarms associated with each of these tasks, and they strategically match up with Amelia nap times.
It is great to be organized, and to feel myself moving forward in so many aspects of life.
I share this to hopefully spark inspiration to find something that helps those of you reading be more productive. I have a long history of being a "well, I just didn't have the time" person. But I recently heard it put that "we all have the same time, it's simply how we use it."
I came to the realization the other night that this new way of life has made me feel, for the first time in a long time, truly how I want to be physically, spiritually, mentally, etc.
So, moving on. Doesn't it seem that when you are trying to eat healthy, you crave sweets the most!? Thus, last night I had the strongest craving for chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting. So, I began thinking about how I could satisfy this need. (Yes, I said need.)
Many of you I'm sure have heard about putting a can of black beans into browning mix. Well, I was thinking on this, and decided to experiment.
I decided to try mixing black beans into cake mix. (and maybe that's a thing too, but let me tell you...I felt as though I was a cave woman creating fire...edible fire.) So, if you're slightly disenchanted by that, then perhaps the frosting will be the kicker.
As I nurse Amelia in the mornings, I watch morning shows. From what I have gathered, coconut oil, water, milk .... it's all the rage. (because I wouldn't know these things just on my own) So, here's what I did. Extra dark chocolate chips (63% cocoa, pretty healthy) and lite coconut milk....whipped. And there you go. That's it. Let it sink in...go ahead.

The result literally shocked me. The frosting is incredible. The cupcake is incredible. (and not to mention so moist) So here's the measurements:
Cupcakes:
1 box any variety of chocolate cake mix
1 can reduced sodium black beans (whole can, undrained)
3/4 water (I simply did this to compensate for elevation, but regardless I would ads a little water because it will be thick)
Puree black beans, and mix well into cake mix with water. And boom. That's it. Cook according to cake mix box, but I just watched them closely and poked a toothpick in them every so often until they were ready.
Frosting:
1/2 can lite coconut milk (you want the frothy layer on top)
1/2 bag extra dark chocolate chips
In sauce pan on stove, melt chocolate chips into coconut milk. Let cool to room temperature, then whip on high until desired consistency.
There you go. Now, these probably can't be exactly considered "diet food", but these are certainly the most healthy desserts I have ever made. And I certainly don't feel guilty in the slightest after eating them. And I am not stretching the truth at all when I say they are better than the homemade cupcakes I make with heavy cream in the batter and frosting. And believe me,I am not one who trades flavor for health.
Now, go make them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment